Pages

What 2014 taught me

Published on Wednesday, December 31, 2014


I sat down on my desk a couple of days ago to write this post, but it was a lot harder than I anticipated. I kept pondering about what to write and it was difficult collecting my thoughts. It's weird to be writing a post about life lessons when I'm merely an 18-year-old college freshman. Ha, what do I know? And you're right, I have so much more to experience and learn, but 2014 is unlike any other years in more ways than one and here's what it taught me...

1. Everything happens for a reason: Doesn't seem like it at the moment, but sooner or later you'll realized that things do happen for a reason. From choosing to go to a different university to deciding what kind of pasta to cook for dinner that night, they were the decisions that was I destined to make. After all, all those choices shaped me into the person that I am today and who I'll be in the future. I know, totally cliche, but it's true.

2. It's okay not to be the best at everything: Ever since we were young, most of us were taught to always have our eyes on the prize. And living in such a competitive and high standard society, this kind of mindset proved itself to be more than crucial. We were taught that if we're not first, we're last. And if we're not right, we're wrong. If we're not best, we're least. If it's not white, it's black. Unfortunately, we were not taught to see the middle ground in everything and anything. We have that either/or outlook (thanks Psychology 110!) and it's quite sad. Don't get me wrong, competition is good and it's what thrive us and ultimately make us better. But everything is only good to some extent. I was so fixated in competing against other people that it drained me out and I got tired of it. So I stopped putting myself and others on the pedestal and realized that there is a middle ground and it is okay not to be the best at everything. After all, we're not designed to be perfect.

3. You get out what you put in: How much do you really want it? Those good grades, that upcoming promotion or that six-pack body you've been dreaming about? Ultimately, it all comes down to how bad you really want it and how hard you're going to work for it. I realized this is more true than ever now that I'm in college and making necessary sacrifices is just a tip of the iceberg to get to where I want to be. A saying goes, 'there are no shortcuts to success, you have to take the stairs.'

4. Let go: Again, we were taught not to let our emotions out, but instead bottle them deep down until it eventually kill us. This year definitely taught me to let out and let go. I released all the stress and burden that was buried deep inside me and realized that some things are not healthy to keep. They were the things that drained me out, that made me love less and hate more, that made me ungrateful and envious. Those were the things that will ultimately kill me. So, as Elsa would have put it, 'let it go, let it go, can't hold it back anymore...'

5. Life is too short: It really is. It's here and then it's gone in a matter of seconds. It's hard to feel grateful all the time, especially when you only know what you lack instead of what you have. I've been there way too many times, but this year was an eye opener for me. Life is precious and short, so love hard, cry harder, laugh longer, hold your loved ones close, dance like no one's watching, don't stop, look ahead and never turn back.

Wow, that was a lot longer (and sappier) than I meant it to be, but I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless. I also hope 2014 was a wonderful year for you, and if not, I hope you can take those hardships and turn them into blessings. Life is a learning process and I sincerely hope you're starting the new year with a positive attitude, the right mindset, and a list of goals. Happy New Year's Eve and I love you all.

1 Comment so far

  1. How beautiful! I wish you all the best in the new year! Have a nice day!
    xx
    cvetybaby.com

    ReplyDelete